Wildlife and habitat emergencies: pollution, injuries, crime and care

thanks to Stephen James for putting this together for us!

When you find an injured animal –

Or when you see signs of river pollution or other environmental damage –

What should you do?

The links below give information about reporting pollution incidents and how to react when you find an animal in distress.

River pollution

Signs of river pollution include fish dead or gasping for air and discoloured or smelly water. If you see pollution, report it immediately to the Environment Agency. The link below is also about reporting other kinds of incidents.

Environment Agency incident hotline

Telephone: 0800 80 70 60

24-hour service


What to do when you find an animal in distress.

This link includes general advice, Animal Rescue Services and RSPCA reporting line:



When to handle an animal and when to leave it alone.

This is a difficult decision in an emergency and the RSPCA offers useful information:



Information about caring for individual species.

Help to keep wildlife safe – for gardeners, pet owners, ramblers and everyone: 



Report wildlife crime

If you witness a suspected wildlife crime in action call 999 immediately. In all other instances call 101.

 Wildlife crime and how to report it

CrimeStoppers: report Wildlife Crime